In the table below, the total number of offers refers to the total number of offers made for places in Medway primary schools. I shall have to wait for an FOI request to clarify the percentage of Medway children receiving offers, as distinct from the whole cohort of Medway and out of area applicants to Medway schools, but there should be little difference between the two, given the small proportion involved crossing the Medway boundary in either direction. It appears from the total number of Medway children considered being 3351, that there is a small net outflow of 29 children. There will be no children from outside Medway included in the "Allocated by Local Authority" section, so the annual increase in the number who have been awarded none of their schools applies purely to Medway children.
|Medway Primary Schools: allocation to Reception classes April 2014|
|Offers made by Medway Primary schools||2014||2013||2012||2011|
|No of pupils||%||No of pupils||%||No of pupils||%||No of pupils||%|
Offered a school named on the application form
Offered a first preference
|Offered a second preference||231||6.95%||189||5.93%||176||5.79%||129||4.38%|
|Offered a third preference||78||2.35%||48||1.51%||55||1.81%||33||1.12%|
|Offered a fourth preference||15||0.45%||18||0.56%||11||0.36%||6||0.20%|
|Allocated by local authority||151||4.55%||129||4.05%||91||2.99%||75||2.55%|
|Total number of offers||3322||3187||3040||2943|
Medway Council Press Release on Reception Class Allocations
Children get their primary school offer: Almost 96 per cent of Medway children will be starting their school life at one of their preferred primary schools this September. The latest school admissions figures reveal that nearly 86 per cent of children have secured a place at their first preference school, 7 per cent at the second preference, and 2 per cent at their third. Families across Medway will shortly start receiving news of the primary school their child has been offered for September 2014 with letters being posted tomorrow (Wednesday, 16 April) by first class, and emails being sent out after 4pm. The school admissions process for Medway is a huge task and involves the council’s Student Services Admissions Team processing applications for 3,351 Medway children and 97 out of area applicants. The numbers of applications continue to grow year on year with nearly 500 more received this year compared with those in 2010. Applications for primary school places opened in September last year and parents had until 15 January to submit their applications to the council, naming up to four schools. Medway Council’s Portfolio Holder for Children’s Services, Cllr Mike O’Brien said: "I'm delighted to see so many families in Medway have been offered a place at one of their named schools and such a high number at their first choice school. “Starting school is a real milestone for children and their families as well as an incredibly exciting time and I’d like to wish all the families and children the best of luck come September.” Director of Children and Adult Services Barbara Peacock said: "I’m pleased that lots of children have gained places at one of their preferred schools. This is an important step as children begin their school life.”
The parallel article for Kent County Council allocations explains the problem with appeals for Infant School places, the relevant appeal statistics for 2013 entry being produced below.
|Medway Primary School Appeal Outcomes 2013|
|Reception Class Appeals||157||6||98||28||25|
I can only express my sympathy for Medway families caught up in this horrible situation affecting their children's futures. It would have been good to see Medway Council express equal sympathy, rather than the delight they are currently showing.